A 30 year old software developer from Croatia with many years of experience in building scalable and performant web applications. Primarily working in Python, but familiar with many other languages and technologies.
- Current: Ansible, Python, Flask, MySQL, Postgres, Java, ObjC, Swift, Jenkins, Phabricator, AWS
- History: PHP, PEAR, Bash, SVN, ASP, MSSQL, C/C++, C#, VB.Net
Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure leadSeptember 2015 - Present
Cleaning up tech debt accumulated over years of fast paced development and several pivots.
Improving security, stability and performance of the production stack while ensuring a safe environment for developers to quickly iterate on code in.
Technical AdvisorDecember 2015 - November 2016
Advised the development team on matters of performance, stability, security and best practices. Assisted with migration to a more resilient and scalable infrastructure setup using Heroku and Cloudflare.
CTO, co-founder2013 - 2015
Head of development and architecture. Owner of all things not frontend. SQL whisperer.
Tech: Django, PostgreSQL, Heroku, AMQP, Redis, Celery, Skyscanner, Facebook/FQL, Phonegap, AWS
Web Developer2010 - 2013
Worked on the entire deviantART web stack, from frontend to backend, internal tools and apps. Led several projects to refactor, optimize and secure core components of the website. Took ownership of the datamining service, stabilized, optimized and improved large portions of it. Led two projects to improve both UI and the underlying engine.
Hiring team member (Feb - Dec 2012)
Spam concerns liaison with Helpdesk, Community and Legal teams.
Public projects: MoreLikeThis, deviantWEAR contests, dA Muro
Fixed and optimized many sections of a codebase showing considerable bit rot, successfully stabilized an unstable product for key events of the season.
Communicated directly with top clients to ensure proper functionality during critical times.
Pitched, specced, prototyped, and built a new generation of product, which would go on to become the core of the company's offering.
Senior web developer2009 - 2010
Primary responsibility was development of several in-house applications using Django and jQuery. Submitted patches to jQuery UI core.
Co-founder, Tech Lead2004 - 2013
Led numerous projects through to a successful launch, many for return customers. Built fully custom solutions for each client from scratch. Full portfolio at www.designeus.hr
Lead Developer & Architect2006-2009
Developed a music shop for entertainment industry professionals, using PHP, PEAR and Smarty. Integrated PayPal and Google Checkout payment gateways, with a fully custom billing module. Developed an “import” application to allow suppliers to upload music and edit complex music metadata without administrator assistance. Includes mp3 transcoding and tag reading.
- October 2017 - Zero Downtime Datacenter Failovers AKA Changing Hosting Providers For Dummies - AWSAdria 2017 slides
- September 2017 - Zero Downtime Datacenter Failovers AKA Changing Hosting Providers For Dummies - Infinum Server-Side Talks slides
- May 2017 - Geo-distributed Development Teams in Practice - Drupal Heart Camp Zagreb slides / video
- December 2016 - "Freelancing", a crash course - DevUG Karlovac
- October 2016 - Security in the age of web frameworks - WebCamp Zagreb
- September 2016 - Security in the age of web frameworks - FSec 2016, Varazdin slides / video
- April 2016 - The importance of being a noob - Web Designers Hrvatska meetup, Zagreb
- March 2016 - The importance of being a noob - WebCamp Ljubljana slides / video
- October 2014 - Bad ideas & worst practices - WebCamp Zagreb, Zagreb slides
- May 2014 - Hitlist and Heroku - Pytalks, Zagreb slides
- May 2013 – LAMP Scaling 101 – phpDay, Verona, Italy slides / joind.in / video
- November 2012 – Geo-distributed development teams – WebCamp Zagreb - slides / video
- October 2012 – LAMP Scaling 101 – ZgPHP User Group slides / video
- April 2012 - What’s new in PHP 5.4 – ZgPHP User Group
- January 2012 – Development at scale – ZgPHP User Group
- November 2011 – Automated spam on the Web – Web User Group Zagreb
- March 2010 - Web Apps for Mobile – hurdles and gotchas – MobileCamp Ljubljana slides / video
- March 2010 - PHP development for Windows developers - SQL/Developers User Group
- February 2010 - What’s new in jQuery 1.4 - Web User Group Zagreb
- June 2011 – Faving spam countermeasures on deviantART